Rebedding the Keel

As a result of Sandy, it looked as if our keel/hull joint might have cracked open slightly. I ground down to the joint, from about 1/4 inch above and to 1 inch below using a very fat 3M type abrasive wheel. It looked as if there was a hairline crack in the bedding compound from the rear to about 1/3 forward. Last weekend I undid and removed the 10 nuts inside – that took a 3/4 inch drive set which I have and a 5 foot cheater bar.

Tuesday this past week, the yard used their travel lift to hoist the boat up about 6 inches. Nothing budged, although the crack opened up slightly. I spent the day chiseling out the bedding compound – its not 5200 but is either fiberglass resin or epoxy. I had cut a bunch of hard wood wedges and, starting at the back, pounded a

You need to be logged in to see the rest of this content.  Catalina380-IA members, please login.

To join please fill out a membership application (Association->Membership Application) and send a check to the address on the form.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.